For every question, there's an answer -- and you'll find it here!

Printer-friendly copy
Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #400684
View in linear mode

Subject: "I think I killed my keyboard" Previous topic | Next topic
bobboTue Feb-21-06 10:05 PM
Charter member
7376 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I think I killed my keyboard"

I just spilled a glass of wine on my new MS Ergonomic keyboard. It worked for a while while wet and I used a hair dryer on it, but it just stopped working. It's USB and the lights on it flash during bootup. Any recommendations?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 21st 2006
1
2
3
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 21st 2006
4
           RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 24th 2006
47
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
5
6
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
10
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
24
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
25
7
8
9
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
11
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
14
           RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
17
                RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
18
                     RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
20
                     RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
23
                          RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
31
                               RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
33
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
12
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
13
           RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
19
                RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
22
RE: Spill the Wine and take that pearl
Feb 22nd 2006
15
RE: Spill the Wine and take that pearl
Feb 22nd 2006
16
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
21
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
26
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
27
           RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
29
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 22nd 2006
28
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
30
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
32
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
34
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
36
           RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 23rd 2006
37
My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 23rd 2006
35
RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 23rd 2006
38
RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 23rd 2006
39
      RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 24th 2006
40
           RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 24th 2006
41
           RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 24th 2006
45
           RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead
Feb 24th 2006
43
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 24th 2006
42
RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 24th 2006
44
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard
Feb 24th 2006
46
Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 25th 2006
48
RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
49
      RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
50
           RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
51
           RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
52
                RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
53
                     RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
54
                     RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
56
                     RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
55
                          RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
57
                               RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
58
                               RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 26th 2006
59
                               RE: Keyboard not completely fixed
Feb 27th 2006
65
RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo
Feb 26th 2006
60
RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo
Feb 27th 2006
61
RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo
Feb 27th 2006
62
      RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo
Feb 27th 2006
63
           RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo
Feb 27th 2006
64
                RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo
Mar 01st 2006
66
Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard
Apr 07th 2006
67
RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard
Apr 07th 2006
68
      RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard
Apr 07th 2006
69
      RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard
Apr 07th 2006
70
      RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard
Apr 07th 2006
71

giseudaTue Feb-21-06 10:52 PM
Member since Nov 17th 2002
1981 posts
#1. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

The only recomendation I can make is keep the wine away from the keyboard.

Been there...Done that!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTTue Feb-21-06 11:04 PM
Charter member
15901 posts
#2. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

You've probably got nothing to lose at this point so you may as well disconnect it and proceed to rinse it out thoroughly but gently with water. Once done rinsing, shake it gently to remove all the excess water you can, and then let it AIR DRY naturally for a few days until it's absolutely, positively dry. Then, give it a try. Don't be impatient! It may be too late already but so you'll need a bit of luck, and patience.

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboTue Feb-21-06 11:09 PM
#3. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Thanks, Jim. I'll give it a try. I'm not holding my breath however. I'll report back if I'm successful.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

anthonySTue Feb-21-06 11:12 PM
Charter member
1027 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IMClick to send message via ICQ
#4. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

It's been my experience that once you spill something (especially something with sugar in it (ie- sticky)) the keyboard is all but ruined- you'll always have "sticky keys."

http://cyclingcaptured.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

WakkoFri Feb-24-06 05:54 PM
Charter member
5198 posts
#47. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

For the most part that is true.
Best thing I've found to do is:
A) take a photo of the key layout (or find a similiar keyboard)
B) Rip out all the keys
C) Split open the keyboard (Take the screws out)
D) Remove the circuits
E) Put the keyboard shell and keys in the dishwasher
F) Use warm water on a Qtip, gently clean any curcuits you think are dirty.
G) Put it all back together.

That is if you consider the above worth the effort for your problem.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LilJoeWed Feb-22-06 12:06 AM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#5. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Two things to try #1 take it apart and wash the plastic membrane that fits between the keys and the board or # 2 put in dishwasher and do not use the heat cycle to dry it,Set it on end and let it drain and air dry.

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LaurieWed Feb-22-06 12:16 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1629 posts
#6. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Once you get it all sorted out, I'll send you some of my kids old 'sippie' cups.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboWed Feb-22-06 01:12 AM
#10. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Thanks Laurie, I have a sippie cup that my grandson uses. I'm almost ready for a nursing bottle with nipple.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Mojo2000Wed Feb-22-06 12:25 PM
Member since Jan 20th 2003
2720 posts
#24. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

>Thanks Laurie, I have a sippie cup that my grandson uses.
>I'm almost ready for a nursing bottle with nipple.

Are you talking about the soft, organic kind that comes in neighboring pairs? One is never too old for that...

PC specs viewable here...
Folding@Home with Team PleasureDome!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

suatciniWed Feb-22-06 02:15 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2003
488 posts
#25. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Hello

Please do not waste your taste using a bottle with a nip while you can find live fleshy ones all around.

Regards

suatcini

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTWed Feb-22-06 12:18 AM
Charter member
15901 posts
#7. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Quote:
# 2 put in dishwasher and do not use the heat cycle to dry it, Set it on end and let it drain and air dry.

LOL. If he or his wife is the "dishwasher", they're not going to appreciate having a large keyboard "put in".

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

cascaWed Feb-22-06 12:29 AM
Charter member
5759 posts
#8. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Simply convert a red neck hard hat beer hat to hold your vino. headthrob headthrob headthrob

Under Construction

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

greyeyezzWed Feb-22-06 12:41 AM
Member since Nov 20th 2001
219 posts
Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#9. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

After you rinse it out put it in the clothes dryer at low heat:+

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboWed Feb-22-06 01:15 AM
#11. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

At this point, I have just rinsed it out, shook it to remove excess water and have it standing on end to drain/dry out. If it doesn't work after that I'll disassemble it and try again. Damn! I really like(d) this keyboard.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellyWed Feb-22-06 01:57 AM
Charter member
58338 posts
#14. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Never publicly confess to a killing.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboWed Feb-22-06 03:43 AM
#17. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

My bad, Shelly, I try to never do it again.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

MaxMinMikeWed Feb-22-06 05:28 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2004
287 posts
#18. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"
Wed Feb-22-06 05:31 AM by MaxMinMike

LilJoe is right. And Fred Langa recommends using distilled water in a spray bottle.

Sorry to laugh, but this is a hilarious topic that really hits home. My wife kept ruining her keyboards with spilled Coke, so I bought her a "waterproof" one from circuit city. She killed that one, too She's on #4 now...

At least make it good wine the next time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DavyWavyWed Feb-22-06 06:32 AM
Charter member
5419 posts
#20. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

That's one of the reasons I stopped drinking, Bobbo...you'll find that
coffee washes out of your keyboard much easier...

DavyWavy -

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Mojo2000Wed Feb-22-06 12:24 PM
Member since Jan 20th 2003
2720 posts
#23. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

>My wife kept ruining her keyboards with spilled
>Coke, so I bought her a "waterproof" one from circuit city.
>She killed that one, too She's on #4 now...

Are you talking about that rubbery, flexible model you can roll up? I thought about getting that one once...

PC specs viewable here...
Folding@Home with Team PleasureDome!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

MaxMinMikeThu Feb-23-06 04:13 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2004
287 posts
#31. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"
Thu Feb-23-06 04:14 AM by MaxMinMike

Mojo2000:
Nope, just a $15 no-name keyboard from Circuit City that had an extra layer of supposedly waterproof plastic under the keys. Not quite! Though rubbery, roll-up keyboard sounds really cool!!

>Are you talking about that rubbery, flexible model you can
>roll up? I thought about getting that one once...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

TtechThu Feb-23-06 01:03 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2002
10412 posts
#33. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Quote:
Though rubbery, roll-up keyboard sounds really cool!!

Not if you are a touch typist.

Behind every good computer... is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LilJoeWed Feb-22-06 01:24 AM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#12. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

>After you rinse it out put it in the clothes dryer at low
>heat:+
And tumble all the keys out.

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellyWed Feb-22-06 01:56 AM
Charter member
58338 posts
#13. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Do not put it in a dryer at ANY heat setting! Let it air dry for a few days.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

greyeyezzWed Feb-22-06 06:04 AM
Member since Nov 20th 2001
219 posts
Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#19. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

i think i just hurt myself laughing.....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

giseudaWed Feb-22-06 09:49 AM
Member since Nov 17th 2002
1981 posts
#22. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Me too!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

AllynWed Feb-22-06 01:59 AM
Member since Dec 27th 2001
12072 posts
#15. "RE: Spill the Wine and take that pearl"

Was it good wine?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboWed Feb-22-06 03:41 AM
#16. "RE: Spill the Wine and take that pearl"

The wine was OK Allyn, but I let out a damn good whine

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

suatciniWed Feb-22-06 09:17 AM
Member since Feb 12th 2003
488 posts
#21. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Hello.

At the time of my posting an answer, I was sure you choked your keyboard. You still do not know whether you killed it or not.

Therefore, your saying that you killed your keyboard is not correct.

You will learn soon whether you killed your keyboard or not when you have completely dried it out.

My suggestion is, never apply external heat to any electronic stuff. It may get extremely hot itself during its operation. But it never likes to be heated externally.

Good luck.

Regards

suatcini

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

VijayWed Feb-22-06 04:38 PM
Charter member
2702 posts
#26. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Suatcini,

This is a fun topic.Enjoy it.

Except of course for the wine that was spilt.

That was a crying shame.

Vijay

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboWed Feb-22-06 05:30 PM
#27. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

I'll enjoy it a lot more if the keyboard starts working again.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

VijayThu Feb-23-06 01:39 AM
Charter member
2702 posts
#29. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Bobbo,

Fun thread for us.For you my /our sympathies and hope it starts working soon.

Vijay

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboWed Feb-22-06 05:32 PM
#28. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Right now, I'm using the keyboard that the Ergo replaced. For testing purposes, is it possible to have more than one keyboard connected to the computer, i.e. PS2 and USB?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

therubeThu Feb-23-06 03:07 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2003
16606 posts
#30. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

If purchased with a credit card, check out any extended warranties that it may provide. Like lost/damaged within 90-days ...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboThu Feb-23-06 11:54 AM
#32. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Good point, Steven. Will look into that.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

VijayThu Feb-23-06 02:51 PM
Charter member
2702 posts
#34. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Surely that wouldn't cover user damage? Pls enlighten me.

Vijay

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

therubeThu Feb-23-06 04:11 PM
Member since Jan 22nd 2003
16606 posts
#36. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Visa Business Guide to Benefits (1/1/06)

Purchase Security and Extended Protection Program

Purchase Security

Within the first ninety (90) days of purchase, Purchase Security will, at the Provider's discretion, replace, repair, or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your eligible Visa Business card up to a maximum of $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder in the event of theft or damage.

(continued)

What items are covered

What times are not covered
(... losses resulting from abuse - is spilling coke, "abuse"?)

(continued)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboThu Feb-23-06 04:35 PM
#37. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Thankfully I won't be needing it this time, but that's good information to know.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboThu Feb-23-06 03:40 PM
#35. "My keyboard resurrected from the dead"
Thu Feb-23-06 04:37 PM by bobbo

Oh happy day!! biggrin

After gently rinsing with water and drying out for a couple of days, my keyboard is back from the dead and, so far, fully functional

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, particularly KJT, whose instructions worked. bravo

All that remains is to reprogram the shortcut keys.

I learned my lesson,... I won't drink and drive my keyboard again

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

giseudaThu Feb-23-06 07:28 PM
Member since Nov 17th 2002
1981 posts
#38. "RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead"

You're off probation and done your community service.....congrats!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob HThu Feb-23-06 09:25 PM
Charter member
10682 posts
#39. "RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead"

You might want to look at a Fellowes Keyguard that will be a form fitting cover custom made for the KB. I put them on all of mine and for about $20.00,it's cheap protection for a high end KB. Staples carries them and I just got one ordered for my Daughter's Belkin ErgoPro model.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboFri Feb-24-06 02:03 AM
#40. "RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead"
Fri Feb-24-06 05:56 AM by bobbo

Thanks Bob, but mine is an ergonomic shaped keyboard. I don't think the there's a Fellowes Keyguard that will fit it.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LaurieFri Feb-24-06 02:21 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1629 posts
#41. "RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead"

"Saran Wrap"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboFri Feb-24-06 04:47 PM
#45. "RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead"

THAT'S IT, Laurie. Wrap my sippie cup in Saran Wrap and it can't possibly spill. biglaff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob HFri Feb-24-06 01:53 PM
Charter member
10682 posts
#43. "RE: My keyboard resurrected from the dead"

I've got them for four ergo boards and they all fit perfectly, including one that has a scroll wheel. Three are MS and this last one was the Belkin. I think you'd probably get one OK.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

clme849Fri Feb-24-06 02:32 AM
Member since Dec 23rd 2004
101 posts
#42. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

For those with the $$$ Virtual Laser Keyboard. Wish I had one. Pepsi got two of my keyboards

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LilJoeFri Feb-24-06 02:58 PM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#44. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

You people who can't handle your drinking should not be driving a computer biglaff

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob HFri Feb-24-06 05:39 PM
Charter member
10682 posts
#46. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard"

Ain't me. it's the drunks that surround me. biglaff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSat Feb-25-06 09:55 PM
#48. "Keyboard not completely fixed"

OOPS! As it turns out, my keyboard isn't completely restored. Everything but the #1/! works. I have to use the number pad for #1 and the character map for the exclamation point. I will live with it for the time being, as I do like this keyboard, but if my compulsive nature fails me I will probably replace it after a while. I tried opening it to do some more cleaning, but there are 23 screws holding it together. Anyway, after opening it as much as I could {probably voiding any warantee), I tried cleaning the circuit film under #1 with a moistened q-tip, but to no avail. I'm hoping, with repetative use, the #1 key will start working again. I hope I learned my lesson on this.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTSun Feb-26-06 12:23 AM
Charter member
15901 posts
#49. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

If the tilde/apostrophe key next to the !/1 key still works as MS intended, it can be programmed to be the !/1 key. Let me know if you want the link.

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSun Feb-26-06 01:44 AM
#50. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

Thanks Jim, please send the link. I will have to be able to change it back and forth as I use the tilde/apostrophe when gaming. I'm just hoping that the key will recover. Do you think rewashing could restore it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

lenjackSun Feb-26-06 12:54 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2001
1582 posts
#51. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

I did the same thing, but when I tried to use my credit card warranty, it didn't work...I spilled wine on my credit card

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTSun Feb-26-06 01:27 PM
Charter member
15901 posts
#52. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

Quote:
Thanks Jim, please send the link. I will have to be able to change it back and forth as I use the tilde/apostrophe when gaming. I'm just hoping that the key will recover. Do you think rewashing could restore it?

Maybe, with time the function will return. Give it several days to dry completely and/or for the effects of the wine to wear off.

It's too much trouble to change key functions back and forth to bother tweaking the tilde/` key in my opinion. It requires a reboot each time you make changes, which would get old very quickly. Nevertheless, here's the link: http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ It's pretty straight forward but I'll try to help if you do decide to use it and have questions.

I don't think re-washing would do any good, but that's just a guess. I don't "game" so I wouldn't try it but if not having the key function is an absolute nightmare, go ahead. Be sure to let it dry completely. If you damage the other keys that are now functional, don't blame me. LOL

You could try reprogramming the !/1 key separately. You already have a 1 key in the Numpad so you only need to relocate the ! part of the key. You could try reprogramming the pipe/back slash key located above your Enter key. Shift + pipe would display an ! (exclamation) point.

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSun Feb-26-06 04:31 PM
#53. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

I'll look at http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/. Perhaps it could remap Shift-Keypad #1 to get the !. On the other hand, since washing only helped the first time, it may fix the remaining problem. I'm very compulsive and can't stand the idea that the keyboard isn't working perfectly. I have a backup keyboard which I can use while this one gets a thorough cleaning and drying if I choose to do it. I really appreciate your input on this, Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellySun Feb-26-06 06:26 PM
Charter member
58338 posts
#54. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"
Sun Feb-26-06 06:27 PM by Shelly

You need to be flexible. I once had a keyboard on which the letter L key stopped working. I simply avoided words with an L in them for a while, the English language is loaded with synonyms.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSun Feb-26-06 07:30 PM
#56. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

She--y, how cou-d you stand not being ab-e to give obnoxious Forum members Ho-y He--!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSun Feb-26-06 07:27 PM
#55. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

I installed and ran Key Tweak. The simplest fix was to reprogram the #1 key on the numeric keypad to #1/!. It's working just fine!!! And,... I still have the tilde key for gaming. I found out that when a key is reprogrammed it adapts both actions, ie. shifted/non shifted. If I had reprogrammed the Shift + pipe, I would have lost the back slash, an extremely necessary key. So,.... I'm back in business and will check the nonfuctioning #1 key from time to time to see whether it's doing anything. Thanks again, Jim, for your valuable input.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTSun Feb-26-06 08:32 PM
Charter member
15901 posts
#57. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

I'm glad I could help. Sorry about the misinformation about the Shift key usage. I use a different keyboard tweaker to make those changes that require the Shift key to be pressed. It's considerably less user friendly, and it's no longer free.

Now that you see that keys can be changed, you may have other little used, or totally unused keys you could reprogram to your personal preference. The one I always program away is the CapsLock key. To me it's the most useless key ever devised given its location. I set it to be a second Left Shift key, so now when I need to shift, if I
inadvertently hit CapsLock, it still does what I want it to do.

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSun Feb-26-06 09:50 PM
#58. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

Quote:
The one I always program away is the CapsLock key. To me it's the most useless key ever devised given its location.

I couldn't agree more. The software that comes with the MS 4000 keyboard includes some tweaks, one of which is to the ability to disable CapsLock.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTSun Feb-26-06 10:13 PM
Charter member
15901 posts
#59. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

Disabled is good.

Years ago, at the office, keyboard tweaking and other "software based" changes were strictly prohibited. So, I popped the CapsLock key off and stored it in my desk. It drew some disgusted looks from the IT people, but I was never forced to put it back.

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellyMon Feb-27-06 06:16 PM
Charter member
58338 posts
#65. "RE: Keyboard not completely fixed"

I could never survive without a Caps Lock. Package services want address labels in caps.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

PauliezSun Feb-26-06 10:45 PM
Member since Jun 18th 2003
3160 posts
#60. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo"

I did the same thing with some "other" fluid and called MS to find out what I could do to clean and/or repair the MS keyboard and they asked me for my name and address and sent me a new keyboard. They told me to turn the old one into a hockey puck. Also there is a sort of lifetime warranty on things like keyboards, mice and/or miceses. Give e’m a call.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboMon Feb-27-06 02:36 AM
#61. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo"

That's certainly worth a call. Thanks for the heads up, Paul.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboMon Feb-27-06 04:33 PM
#62. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo"
Mon Feb-27-06 04:36 PM by bobbo

Paul, I wish I knew who you talked with at MS. I called and was switched around to various numbers and was finally told to buy a new one.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

KJTMon Feb-27-06 04:52 PM
Charter member
15901 posts
#63. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo"

If MS had replaced your keyboard, at least half of the forum members would have been calling Microsoft for a free "replacement".

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboMon Feb-27-06 05:18 PM
#64. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo"

Well, one Forum member, Pauliez, got one. It was certainly worth a try.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

PauliezWed Mar-01-06 09:13 AM
Member since Jun 18th 2003
3160 posts
#66. "RE: I think I killed my keyboard to bobbo"
Wed Mar-01-06 09:24 AM by Pauliez

I not only got my MS Keyboard replaced but my track ball mouse. Both were well over the one year limit. Let me dig out the box that the new keyboard came in and see what was on the invoice.
Article ID : 326246 From here I found a phone number and spoke to a tech. I can remember telling him that my keyboard was under three years old,(which it is not). In fact they sent me a new black one. I have the MS Internet Keyboard. Worked for me!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboFri Apr-07-06 03:25 PM
#67. "Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard"

Called MS again and explained that the #1/! key wasn't working. Keyboard was backordered, and MS put me on their replacement list. Received the replacement keyboard this morning, and all is well.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DavyWavyFri Apr-07-06 05:38 PM
Charter member
5419 posts
#68. "RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard"

Great, Bobbo! Celebrate! Have another glass of wine....

DavyWavy -

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob HFri Apr-07-06 06:29 PM
Charter member
10682 posts
#69. "RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard"

biglaff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

soulhotrodFri Apr-07-06 07:11 PM
Charter member
73 posts
#70. "RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard"

Glad that your problems are solved.Nice to know about MS replacement policy. That's one good reason to buy MS.
This whole question and answer period has been very good.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboFri Apr-07-06 07:28 PM
#71. "RE: Update,.. MS replaced Keyboard"

Quote:
Great, Bobbo! Celebrate! Have another glass of wine....

I'm going to just that, Davy, but nowhere near my new keyboard.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #400684 Previous topic | Next topic