For every question, there's an answer -- and you'll find it here!

Printer-friendly copy
Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #402251
View in linear mode

Subject: "How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?" Previous topic | Next topic
GroganSat Mar-04-06 01:55 AM
Charter member
20650 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"
Sat Mar-04-06 02:06 AM by Grogan

Quote:
It would be interesting to run a poll and see how many run in classic mode.

LilJoe

OK Lou, this one's for you

Feel free to post to the poll thread and elabourate, folks.

Poll result (120 votes)
Yes, I use Classic Mode. I prefer the old style of Windows. Classic start menu, classic style. (51 votes)Vote
I use a classic start menu, but otherwise use the Windows XP style (7 votes)Vote
No, I use the new style of start menu and Windows XP style (56 votes)Vote
I use the new style of start menu, but I use the classic Windows style (6 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
1
2
4
6
           RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
9
           RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 05th 2006
43
                RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 05th 2006
44
3
5
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
7
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
52
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
53
8
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
10
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
11
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
12
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
34
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
13
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
22
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
26
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 05th 2006
45
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 05th 2006
46
           RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 05th 2006
47
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
51
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
14
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
15
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
36
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
16
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
17
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
18
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
19
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
20
           RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
21
                RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
23
                     RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
24
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
25
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
28
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
27
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
29
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
30
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
31
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
32
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
33
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
35
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
37
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
38
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
39
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 05th 2006
48
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
40
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
42
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 08th 2006
66
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 04th 2006
41
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
49
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
50
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
54
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 06th 2006
55
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
59
           RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
60
                RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 08th 2006
65
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
56
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
57
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
58
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
61
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
62
      RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
63
           RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 07th 2006
64
RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?
Mar 08th 2006
67

LilJoeSat Mar-04-06 02:02 AM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#1. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Thanks Mike,I also found it easier for older people who get new computers and are lost and complain when they can't find anything.
When I show them how to use classic mode they think I'm brilliant
Heck,I've got a coupla customers who after 4 years still need stick-ums on the monitor to know how to Start and Stop computer.One person needs a larger monitor to hold them all

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganSat Mar-04-06 02:09 AM
#2. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I run Windows in VMware only these days, and I can do without the bloat. So I use the Classic Windows style, and I turn off all the unnecessary effects.

I do, however, like the new style of start menu better than the old. It's generally less cumbersome and most of the apps I launch end up in the recent list and are readily accessible.

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Hank52Sat Mar-04-06 02:25 AM
Member since Sep 24th 2002
3358 posts
#4. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Actually, I'm not really sure what XP Mode is? I just use Windows Explorer about 99.9% of the time, and it's set-up with Two Panes. The Tree on the Left and the File Window on the Right. If you mean having "Great Big" Icons in place of Files, Forget it.

How would you like to go through 1000 Music Files with "Large" Icons.
I need Information quick. Just one straight line across the Page with all the Details right there. File name, size, type, and attributes.

I'd like to find the "Idiot" that put those "Really..Really.. Great"

"BALLOONS" that Pop-up when you Mouse-over a File. What a waste of Coding.

Ken:

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganSat Mar-04-06 02:39 AM
#6. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I'm referring to these two things.

The Style (Theme) used in Display Properties:

The setting in Start Menu Properties:

I know what you mean about those thought balloon tips. The most annoying of all, is the one on the start menu that informs you that there isn't enough space to display all the items. (e.g. when your display is set to low resolution). That stupid thing, covers up the rest of the space making it even more difficult to navigate. It's resistant to being dismissed, too lol

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Hank52Sat Mar-04-06 02:46 AM
Member since Sep 24th 2002
3358 posts
#9. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Oh Yea Grogan. I remember them now. I took one look and changed them.
Actually it doesn't really matter to me much. I don't spend much time looking at the Desktop, with the exeption of the Start Menu.

Ken:

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

SmokeSun Mar-05-06 07:03 AM
Charter member
600 posts
#43. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Grogan

Re: your fist image in post#6

I'm confused.

I thought you can have any theme you want. Then the style can be changed under the Display Properties - Appearance tab (XP or Classic).

Example:
under the theme tab - "Windows Classic" theme w/ XP style selected under the Appearance tab becomes "Windows Classic (modified)"

So the theme name can be anything. And the windows style (XP or Classic), would be the setting under the appearance tab.

And if you change the style or any settings in the Appearance advanced section back under the Theme tab your theme name automatically becomes "Modified" and at this point if you want to keep this setup you give it a name and save it.

Anyway here my setting and a screenshot.

Modified Theme
Windows XP style (Windows and Buttons)
Classic Start menu

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganSun Mar-05-06 07:48 AM
#44. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Modified theme is just what you get after you've changed settings, yes.

I didn't want too many choices in the poll, so I went for the start menu, and the theme. (which I unwittingly referred to as style, sorry for the confusion, but that's what it really is)

I felt that both the start menu and the classic look were the most significant. The original intent of the Poll (and this was Lil Joe's idea) was a simple distinction between using Windows the old fashioned way, or the Windows XP way. The screenshots were just to clarify this distinction, not to show any specific selection.

Those who were outside the confines of the poll question, were encouraged to elabourate.

Last time I had an actual Windows XP install on the PC, I had bought StyleXP and used a Lord of the Rings style. It was rich, and I'm glad I at least preserved a screenshot of it.

I do enjoy eye candy when goofing off

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DarrenSat Mar-04-06 02:23 AM
Charter member
9461 posts
#3. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I use the new style with most of the effects turned off. I do not use the Welcome Screen.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jr!Sat Mar-04-06 02:37 AM
Charter member
318 posts
#5. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I cannot stand the XP Theme it's terrible, but love the classic theme, with the exception of the icon for the desktop in the quick launch bar.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Hank52Sat Mar-04-06 02:39 AM
Member since Sep 24th 2002
3358 posts
#7. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I can hardly wait until they come out with a version that has a Verbal Interface instead of Icons to Click.

You're going to see so many G@d D**n People Swearing at their Computers. We ain't seen nothin yet.

It's going to sound like one of those Abbot & Costelo skits.

"What do you mean, "PRESS START TO STOP"

Ken:

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Dave101Mon Mar-06-06 05:59 PM
Charter member
2645 posts
#52. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

>I use the new style with most of the effects turned off. I do
>not use the Welcome Screen.

Can you point me to those settings to remove the "Welcome Screen"?

Dave101

"The only goddamn thing you know about the law is how to break it." Chief Lafleche

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LilJoeMon Mar-06-06 07:10 PM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#53. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Control Panel-User Accounts

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DJCSat Mar-04-06 02:41 AM
Charter member
6596 posts
#8. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"
Sat Mar-04-06 03:10 AM by DJC

No, I use the new style of start menu and Windows XP style I set it up in Menu style I prefer that to the link style. I also use Stardocks object Desktop which allows me to customize Windows. Like boot skin and logon logo along with skinning almost everything. It has great Icon packager. you can also skin your web browser.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

TtechSat Mar-04-06 02:57 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2002
10412 posts
#10. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I like the new style Start Menu, it has many customization options. I prefer the classic theme though. I don't need all the rounded objects.

Behind every good computer... is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

therubeSat Mar-04-06 02:58 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2003
16606 posts
#11. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic all the way.
Cleaner, clearer, faster, easier to use, IMO.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

PilgrimSat Mar-04-06 03:00 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
2296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
#12. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Odd man out here...... I use WindowBlinds and love how I can customize the look of the entire interface. Many of the "skins" I use have very useful features not included in either the "Classic" nor "XP (Luna) theme), e.g., a button to rollup/down a window, make it stay on top, open a variety of applications I use often, etc. Not only does WindowBlinds use very little memory, it actually "paints" faster than the default XP theme engine.

Jeff
simul iustus et peccator

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

JazzgirlSat Mar-04-06 03:59 PM
Member since Nov 16th 2001
998 posts
#34. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I luv WindowBlinds Pilgrim. I've been using it for a few years. Luv the ability to customize my start menu. Interesting...I'm using that skin right now too!

Jazzgirl

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DocSat Mar-04-06 03:00 AM
Charter member
2749 posts
#13. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I use the XP start menu and the XP style. However, I revert the Control Panel back to the old style.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganSat Mar-04-06 06:39 AM
#22. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

>I use the XP start menu and the XP style. However, I revert
>the Control Panel back to the old style.

Good point, that dumbed down control panel is lame. I switch Control Panel to classic view, on every system I touch. Just how is a user supposed to get proficient with Windows, if all the settings are buried in multiple levels of nanny dialogs?

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DocSat Mar-04-06 10:28 AM
Charter member
2749 posts
#26. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I can't find anything while using the new XP style Control Panel.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

SmokeSun Mar-05-06 08:05 AM
Charter member
600 posts
#45. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

One more question "dumbed down control panel" - is that the Folder task garbage, "common task" in the folder options dialog box under the general tab. Its refered to several places in this thread called control panel....

If it is "common task" I thought that was an all folders or no folders type deal.

If not what is everyone talking about. Hate to think there is something I can change and I don't know about it.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganSun Mar-05-06 08:17 AM
#46. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

The Dumbed Down Control Panel (tm) is what you get when you first run Windows XP and before you click Classic View off to the left, on the Control Panel window.. It's missing many of the control panels. A dumbed down selection of settings categories, to protect us from ourselves.

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

SmokeSun Mar-05-06 08:37 AM
Charter member
600 posts
#47. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

googled control panel images - and see what your talking about.

Add a check mark to the long list of Thank Yous from me.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Dave101Mon Mar-06-06 05:55 PM
Charter member
2645 posts
#51. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Same here!!!

Dave101

"The only goddamn thing you know about the law is how to break it." Chief Lafleche

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob HSat Mar-04-06 03:39 AM
Charter member
10682 posts
#14. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic on 4 PCs.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

RoperaSat Mar-04-06 04:32 AM
Charter member
5863 posts
#15. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I use the classic style with the Windows XP visual styles

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

therubeSat Mar-04-06 05:19 PM
Member since Jan 22nd 2003
16606 posts
#36. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

The only setting I use in 'Visual Effects' is, "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".
It does look much better that way.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

JPSat Mar-04-06 05:00 AM
Charter member
9570 posts
#16. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"
Sat Mar-04-06 05:05 AM by JP

I prefer the Win XP style, lots more functionality built into it. I simply got used to it because all of the system that I had to deal with at school are set to that by default. The machine that I'm posting from right now hasn't been changed from the default, I've been too lazy to bother.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob GSat Mar-04-06 05:46 AM
Charter member
7115 posts
Click to send email to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#17. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

If we were forced to use the default XP themes, I'd use classic windows with new start menu, but since I have a theme I like, I use XP style.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ChickenmanSat Mar-04-06 05:58 AM
Charter member
4618 posts
#18. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic all the way.

When working on other Computers that run XP style, I have to revert to Classic style to figure anything out. Of course I always change it back, although, a lot of times, the owner is flabbergasted that you can run the "old school" style and want it left that way!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

HoratioSat Mar-04-06 06:09 AM
Charter member
4162 posts
#19. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

XP Style (silver) when I venture out of PCLinux OS.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Bob GSat Mar-04-06 06:22 AM
#20. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

LOL, it took me weeks to figure out how to turn off all the default crap in XP mode. If someone snuck in and reset everything to default, I wouldn't know how to find anything either, and it would probably take a month to remember how to get rid of the junk. My XP mode runs as close as I can make it to classic style, it just looks prettier. I'll bet if I had upgraded from W2K instead of Win98, I'd probably use classic.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jadinolfSat Mar-04-06 06:26 AM
Charter member
269 posts
#21. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Mine is called Windows Classic (Modified)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

zeicoSat Mar-04-06 07:26 AM
Charter member
807 posts
#23. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic - all the way.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

faceacheSat Mar-04-06 10:22 AM
Member since Jan 12th 2002
1915 posts
#24. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic.

Surely there is a way to turn off those damn darn blasted annoying interfering £&%("%* things that some ijit in MS loves. those pop ups.

I HATE them, I detest them and I can't find how to stop them.
the option in TweakUI to do just that doesn't do that.

Thank you
Ian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Night_rider666Sat Mar-04-06 10:28 AM
Member since Feb 15th 2002
5340 posts
#25. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

XP Style with the Media Centre theme - can't stand the bland, grey 98 look

Use classic Control Panel though.

'Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity'

System Specs

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

IRnTXSat Mar-04-06 11:48 AM
Charter member
232 posts
#28. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I am elderly (77) and use classic. I keep several friends machines up to date and set them all to classic. Half of them still use 98 and it helps me with all looking about the same. Les

LLH

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

AllynSat Mar-04-06 11:47 AM
Member since Dec 27th 2001
12072 posts
#27. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"
Sat Mar-04-06 11:49 AM by Allyn

I tried Classic Mode two years ago when wanting to speed things up and I stayed with it. I find it easier on the eyes.

A thought:
Though I promote investment in Windows Vista™ Aero Glass™ capable hardware, I may not necessarily use Aero Glass myself. I promote it within my computer club and suggest it in this forum because I feel that future computers and their users should at least have an option to use Aero Glass.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

BarbSat Mar-04-06 11:56 AM
Charter member
413 posts
#29. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I use XP style and have changed the control panel also.

I like the rounded look of XP, but have made lots of tweaks behind the scenes, so it's like Classic with a face lift.

Barb

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LesSat Mar-04-06 01:42 PM
Charter member
3684 posts
#30. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I use Window Blinds.

Les

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LaurieSat Mar-04-06 02:23 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1629 posts
#31. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I prefer the classic start menu and classic control panel but like to use the XP style windows. However, I turn off all the animation.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jazz4freeSat Mar-04-06 02:58 PM
Member since Sep 30th 2004
8658 posts
#32. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

XP with lots of eye candy.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

JazzgirlSat Mar-04-06 03:49 PM
Member since Nov 16th 2001
998 posts
#33. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I use WindowBlinds on one computer so I have to pretty much use Windows Classic Mode to use it. I use the new Windows style on the other two computers but use classic folder views in Windows Explorer.

Jazzgirl

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ElmoSat Mar-04-06 04:36 PM
Charter member
188 posts
#35. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Hey Grogan. I am an "old dog" and it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks, so for me it is "Classic" all the way.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellySat Mar-04-06 05:42 PM
Charter member
58338 posts
#37. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic Start menu and Control Panel, XP silver theme. I didn't buy XP so I could look at W9X.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

daterminehtorSat Mar-04-06 06:03 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2001
2101 posts
#38. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Interesting thread, thanks.

XP Style theme (via xptheme.dll) and Start Menu.
Classic Control Panel.
Some of the eye candy turned off (hey, 256mb card and 1gb ram, so... phfft)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jeaSat Mar-04-06 06:16 PM
Charter member
1866 posts
Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#39. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

XP Start Menu, Classic Control Panel. XP Silver Theme. You can turn off the pop-up bubbles in Folder Options.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

faceacheSun Mar-05-06 09:29 AM
Member since Jan 12th 2002
1915 posts
#48. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I have it turned off.
Also off in Tweak UI

Thank you
Ian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Paul DSat Mar-04-06 07:18 PM
Charter member
10207 posts
#40. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"
Sat Mar-04-06 10:53 PM by Paul D

XP Menu. Classic style appearance. Lots of toolbars - 10 actually, just counted them, including one for Control Panel (classic style) so I rarely use the Start menu anyway.

Wallpaper by Boris Vallejo - genius fantasy artist. And I use Webshots to change my wallpaper.

(Edit)Obviously I have dual monitors. I also run an excellent shareware program called UltraMon which provides a taskbar for each monitor and a couple of ways of moving maximised windows between screens. I thoroughly recommend it.

Paul D

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

MSUSat Mar-04-06 08:34 PM
Charter member
10815 posts
#42. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I first saw his work probably 30 years ago and have always liked it.

MSU

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

antcjWed Mar-08-06 05:00 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2001
1116 posts
#66. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Where did you get that Paul?

Ant

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

PC TECH250Sat Mar-04-06 08:27 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2006
24 posts
#41. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

The CLASSICS are expressed here with the task bar locked on the left
side of the screen. This allows for a quick access to the task manager
to see how various processes are running like network activity. All of
the task bar icons are also hidden along with no quick launch.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ablibMon Mar-06-06 01:18 AM
Member since Mar 04th 2002
13216 posts
#49. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic Start Menu/Classic Control Panel/XP Royale Theme.

The XP start menu is horrible!!. Whenever I work on a computer it's the first thing I change. Then the control panel to classic.

Visit the Basement

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

MeehowskiMon Mar-06-06 02:07 PM
Charter member
1441 posts
#50. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

The New Style!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

El TriponMon Mar-06-06 09:43 PM
Member since Jan 21st 2002
49 posts
#54. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

My option wasn't availible. I use XP for everything except Control Panel. I selected the I use XP option

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganMon Mar-06-06 11:00 PM
#55. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"
Mon Mar-06-06 11:02 PM by Grogan

I wasn't really thinking about Control Panel when I made up the poll questions. I always took it for granted that everyone would pretty much have to select "Classic View" for control panel, because it's the only way to get at much of the configuration. It's more than just a preference.

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganTue Mar-07-06 05:59 PM
#59. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I took another look at this Control Panel thing, and spent a few minutes clicking around. I now see that you can get to everything in non-classic view if you follow the right links. I have to confess that I just never wasted the time trying to navigate it. I noticed the Classic View setting on the left, the very first time I saw XP.

I'm sure some folks will have different tastes (and after all, someone at Microsoft obviously likes it), or possibly those who have never used a control panel in their lives might not take issue with it, but I personally find it irritating and illogical.

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LilJoeTue Mar-07-06 07:52 PM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#60. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

And Vista has about 55 items in theirs.

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganWed Mar-08-06 03:42 AM
#65. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I haven't seen Vista yet, but I can't wait

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

SidTue Mar-07-06 01:10 AM
Charter member
5385 posts
#56. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Classic for me, dude!

.
Onward & Upward !
Sid

WINDOWS 10
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro MB
Intel i5 3750K CPU
8g Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
Corsair Neutron 250g SSD

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jadinolfTue Mar-07-06 02:08 AM
Charter member
269 posts
#57. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

>Classic for me, dude!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

EllergreenTue Mar-07-06 10:34 AM
Charter member
1397 posts
#58. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I'm just an old (fashioned?) guy - Classic all the way!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganTue Mar-07-06 09:47 PM
#61. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I'm going to "unpin" this thread now, but that doesn't mean the poll is closed or anything. Of course, feel free to continue the discussion as well.

Thanks to all for participating. The results show that as many people like the classic modes of Windows as those who like the new.

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

sophie tuckerTue Mar-07-06 10:03 PM
Member since Jan 31st 2002
6544 posts
#62. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

i run a modified theme with the WXP style appearance because i like the olive green and rust hues on the background colors of my windows. i find the blue intense after them.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

GroganTue Mar-07-06 10:15 PM
#63. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

Yes, I don't much care for that blue taskbar and stuff either. I don't mind the silver or olive green colours though.

Grogan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LilJoeTue Mar-07-06 11:19 PM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#64. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

I like the siver and I changed my BSOD from Blue to Titty Pink ,but I never have a problem so don't get to see it.

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

randybedoreWed Mar-08-06 10:07 AM
Charter member
1604 posts
#67. "RE: How many people use Windows XP in Classic Mode?"

classic

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #402251 Previous topic | Next topic