For every question, there's an answer -- and you'll find it here!

Printer-friendly copy
Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #407826
View in linear mode

Subject: "What's your security?" Previous topic | Next topic
ablibSat Apr-15-06 02:11 AM
Member since Mar 04th 2002
13216 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What's your security?"
Sat Apr-15-06 02:35 AM by ablib

Time for another "What's everyone running and recommend" thread.

I test my security whenever I get bored. Like purposely getting viruses, spyware, crap, etc.. My line of protection never fails me. Fort knox my computer is..

Linksys Router
Zone Alarm
Norton AntiVirus
SpywareBlaster
Windows Defender

And scans every so often of Spybot, AdAware and A2 Free.

All programs updated of course.

What do all of you do?

Test your security here:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=ssr&langid=ie&venid=sym

Visit the Basement

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
1
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
2
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
5
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
7
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
3
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
6
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
4
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
8
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
9
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
10
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
11
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
12
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
13
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
14
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
15
RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
62
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
16
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
17
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
18
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
19
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
20
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
21
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
22
           RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
25
                RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
35
                     RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
36
                          RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
38
                               RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
39
                               RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
40
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
23
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
24
RE: What's your security?
Apr 15th 2006
26
RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
27
RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
28
RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
29
RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
30
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
31
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
64
      RE: What's your security? To JP
Apr 16th 2006
32
           RE: What's your security? To JP
Apr 16th 2006
33
RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
34
RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
37
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
41
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 16th 2006
42
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
43
           RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
55
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
44
           RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
45
                RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
46
                     RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
47
                          RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
48
                               RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
49
                                    RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
50
                                         RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
51
                                              RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
52
                                                   RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
53
                                                   RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
54
                                                        RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
56
                                                        RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
57
                                                        RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
60
                                                        RE: What's your security?
Apr 19th 2006
66
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 17th 2006
58
RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
59
RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
61
RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
63
RE: What's your security?
Apr 19th 2006
67
RE: What's your security?
Apr 18th 2006
65
      RE: What's your security?
Apr 20th 2006
68
RE: What's your security?
Apr 25th 2006
69
RE: What's your security?
Apr 25th 2006
70

LilJoeSat Apr-15-06 02:15 AM
Member since Jun 28th 2004
17111 posts
#1. "RE: What's your security?"

Yeah sounds about right

LilJoe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

HoratioSat Apr-15-06 02:15 AM
Charter member
4162 posts
#2. "RE: What's your security?"

D-link router
AntiVir PE
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Adaware SE

I never catch anything.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

uffbrosSat Apr-15-06 02:40 AM
Charter member
4290 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: What's your security?"

I don't know how anyone run's that Norton...I've been on many customers 3.2/3.4 GHZ Pentium's with 1GB Ram and machine is sloooooooow...I remove Norton and put on anything else...Fast again. I use Kaspersky but I'd use a free one(AntiVir PE) before I'd touch Norton again. And I called them #1 years ago.

Dell Dimension 4550,Win XP Home SP2, 2.4 GHZ P4, 512MB DDR PC2700 Ram, ATI Rage 128(32MB),Cable
Dell Inspiron 5160,XP Home SP2,2.8 GHZ,512MB Ram,32MB Video

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ablibSat Apr-15-06 02:56 AM
#7. "RE: What's your security?"

I have 2 fast computers like that and never have a problem. They are super fast with or without it.

Visit the Basement

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DarrenSat Apr-15-06 02:34 AM
Charter member
9461 posts
#3. "RE: What's your security?"

  • NAT Router
  • NOD32 Antivirus
  • SpywareBlaster
  • Spybot
  • AdAware

  • Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    General_KSat Apr-15-06 02:44 AM
    Charter member
    1575 posts
    #6. "RE: What's your security?"

    Hardware Security: Linksys router.
    Software Security: OS X.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    PilgrimSat Apr-15-06 02:39 AM
    Member since Jan 26th 2002
    2296 posts
    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
    #4. "RE: What's your security?"

    Me gots:

    Satellite {Xplornet Ka Band which has its own NAT}
    Linksys router
    Kaspersky AV Personal (6.0 service release)
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Outpost Firewall Pro {Beta ver. 3.5.746.6412 (462)] w/antispyware full-time protection running}
    SpywareBlaster

    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    HoratioSat Apr-15-06 03:06 AM
    Charter member
    4162 posts
    #8. "RE: What's your security?"

    Quote:

    I don't know how anyone run's that Norton...I've been on many customers 3.2/3.4 GHZ Pentium's with 1GB Ram and machine is sloooooooow...I remove Norton and put on anything else...Fast again. I use Kaspersky but I'd use a free one(AntiVir PE) before I'd touch Norton again.

    Ditto Ditto Ditto..

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    Ed W.Sat Apr-15-06 03:13 AM
    Charter member
    2754 posts
    #9. "RE: What's your security?"

    My security.....
    1 12 gauge single shot 32" full choke
    1 12 gauge single shot 28" mod choke
    1 12 gauge pump
    1 16 gauge pump
    1 20 gauge semi auto
    1 high powered rifle with scope
    classified backups

    Ed W.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    CrockettSat Apr-15-06 03:44 AM
    Member since Feb 27th 2002
    1395 posts
    #10. "RE: What's your security?"

    * Zone Alarm Pro
    * Kaspersky AV Personal Pro
    * ProcessGuard

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ElceeSat Apr-15-06 03:52 AM
    Member since Jan 31st 2004
    222 posts
    #11. "RE: What's your security?"

    NOD32
    Zone Alarm
    Spybot S & D
    Spyware Blaster
    Microsoft Windows Defender Beta2

    Occasional scans with Ewido, ASquared and AdAware and
    I get a huge shock if anything ever shows up!

    Elcee

    Elcee

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    muckshifterSat Apr-15-06 08:42 AM
    Charter member
    2859 posts
    #12. "RE: What's your security?"

    Why these checks did not complete for you:
    You are not using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or newer.

    Nope ... Linux wins again.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    AcadiaSat Apr-15-06 10:07 AM
    Member since Oct 13th 2002
    1331 posts
    #13. "RE: What's your security?"

    Looks pretty good, however in my opinion, the most important "security" program is the one least talked about and not even considered a security program by many: a good BACKUP or RECOVERY program. I use Raxco's FirstDefense-Immediate System Recovery for that purpose.

    Acadia

    The blazing evidence of immortality is our dissatisfaction with any other solution. -- Emerson

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    baloSat Apr-15-06 11:22 AM
    Charter member
    2264 posts
    #14. "RE: What's your security?"

    D-Link Router
    NAV
    SpyBot S&D
    Ad_Aware SE
    SpywareBlaster
    Spy Sweeper
    Norton Firewall

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    npmclSat Apr-15-06 12:27 PM
    Charter member
    7501 posts
    #15. "RE: What's your security?"

    Zoom modem/router
    2005 NAV
    Windows Defender
    SpywareBlaster
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot
    Free ZA firewall

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    npmclTue Apr-18-06 04:53 PM
    Charter member
    7501 posts
    #62. "RE: What's your security?"

    Windows Defender now uninstalled, see separate thread.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    therubeSat Apr-15-06 01:58 PM
    Member since Jan 22nd 2003
    16606 posts
    #16. "RE: What's your security?"
    Sat Apr-15-06 02:01 PM by therube

    At present, & for some time now, solely a Linksys router.

    (Oh, & I do use the alternatives - SeaMonkey rather then IE, Eudora rather the OE).

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    JPSat Apr-15-06 02:03 PM
    Charter member
    9570 posts
    #17. "RE: What's your security?"

    I've been trying out some stuff with one Win XP Pro box that I have. It's set up with:

    * Windows Firewall
    * Windows Defender
    * The free eTrust EZ Antivirus linked to from Microsoft's website

    That's it for active security! I do back it up with scans from AdAware, Spybot, and once in while, a2. I have not had any security related problems with it so far.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ShellySat Apr-15-06 04:02 PM
    Charter member
    58338 posts
    #18. "RE: What's your security?"

    Router NAT
    Norton System Works Premier, with NAV Pro
    Windows Defender
    Zone Alarm Pro

    Free versions of:

    A squared
    Ad Aware
    Spybot S&D
    SpywareBlaster

    Shelly

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ChickenmanSat Apr-15-06 04:18 PM
    Charter member
    4618 posts
    #19. "RE: What's your security?"

    Trend Internet Security 2005

    Zone Alarm Free 6.1.744.001

    Ad-Aware Free

    SpyWare Blaster Free

    Windows Defender

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    HowardLSat Apr-15-06 06:12 PM
    Member since Dec 12th 2001
    1447 posts
    #20. "RE: What's your security?"

    Linksys router
    ZoneAlarm firewall
    Avast Anti-virus

    Every couple of months I may run the spyware apps: Spybot and Adaware, but mostly don't mess with them. Nothing ever comes up except for a few cookies which I don't worry about.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    micksterSat Apr-15-06 07:50 PM
    Charter member
    6671 posts
    #21. "RE: What's your security?"

    2 NAT routers(hard wired and wireless off)
    NOD32
    Spybot S&D w/updated Immunizations
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Windows Defender

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    chandra xSat Apr-15-06 08:19 PM
    Member since Feb 14th 2003
    2502 posts
    #22. "RE: What's your security?"

    I passed all the threats ,but my final report showed i needed an anti virus program

    i have A.V.G. why wasn't it recognized???

    priscilla

    i-MAC newbie out of training

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ShellySat Apr-15-06 10:57 PM
    Charter member
    58338 posts
    #25. "RE: What's your security?"

    Do you have the real time protection active?

    Shelly

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    chandra xSun Apr-16-06 12:04 PM
    Member since Feb 14th 2003
    2502 posts
    #35. "RE: What's your security?"

    >Do you have the real time protection active?

    Hi, thanks shelly, i think so, when i go to the control center it says everything is active i also have it scheduled to scan every morning......

    how can i check if i have real time protection active???
    i have the free version of A.V.G.

    THANKS

    priscilla

    i-MAC newbie out of training

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    jbmcmillanSun Apr-16-06 02:15 PM
    Member since Jul 17th 2002
    6319 posts
    #36. "RE: What's your security?"

    If everthing in the control center is functional then you have real time protection enabled.That would be the "resident shield".

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    chandra xSun Apr-16-06 03:26 PM
    Member since Feb 14th 2003
    2502 posts
    #38. "RE: What's your security?"

    >If everthing in the control center is functional then you
    >have real time protection enabled.That would be the "resident
    >shield".

    Thanks.....then i wonder why the scan doesn't recognize my A.V.G.?

    priscilla

    i-MAC newbie out of training

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    LaurieSun Apr-16-06 03:31 PM
    Member since Jun 30th 2002
    1629 posts
    #39. "RE: What's your security?"

    Scan doesn't recognize my AntiVir Free.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    jbmcmillanSun Apr-16-06 03:35 PM
    Member since Jul 17th 2002
    6319 posts
    #40. "RE: What's your security?"

    I'm not sure but I use it as well and XP's security center and zone alarm don't recognize it either but I don't use Security Center and shut off ZA's antvirus monitoring.Maybe they don't like free software

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    JazzgirlSat Apr-15-06 08:24 PM
    Member since Nov 16th 2001
    998 posts
    #23. "RE: What's your security?"

    2Wire router with built-in firewall
    NOD32 antivirus
    TrojanHunter
    Spywareblaster
    Ewido

    Never have any problems. I quit using any Norton products a long time ago except for Ghost. I upgraded Ghost a few months ago and it was installed on one of my other desktops. I had nothing but trouble with it so uninstalled it and went with Acronis True Image. No more problems.

    JG

    Jazzgirl

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    LaurieSat Apr-15-06 08:41 PM
    Member since Jun 30th 2002
    1629 posts
    #24. "RE: What's your security?"

    AntiVir Free
    Zone Alarm Free
    Spywareblaster
    Spybot S&D
    Adaware

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    Greta_s DadSat Apr-15-06 11:28 PM
    Member since Nov 13th 2001
    678 posts
    #26. "RE: What's your security?"

    NOD32
    ZAPro
    FDISR
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot S&D
    Spyware Blaster
    MS Anti-Spyware

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    garbruSun Apr-16-06 12:00 AM
    Charter member
    4425 posts
    #27. "RE: What's your security?"

    D-Link Router with firewall
    Sygate soft firewall
    Kaspersky AV
    Spyware Blaster
    Spybot
    Adaware.

    Acronis True image...

    Run Firefox most of the time
    update OS

    try not to download junk
    delete emails that are questionable

    I also do not let many people use my PC much.

    Keep safe

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    PauliezSun Apr-16-06 12:43 AM
    Member since Jun 18th 2003
    3160 posts
    #28. "RE: What's your security?"

    AVG
    Zone Alarm
    Adware
    Spybot
    Spyware

    Plus a Pit Bull that has been well trained by my cat in the combat use of a M16.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    JordanSun Apr-16-06 12:56 AM
    Member since Jan 07th 2002
    3946 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #29. "RE: What's your security?"

    Linksys Router
    Windows OneCare

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    JPSun Apr-16-06 01:44 AM
    Charter member
    9570 posts
    #30. "RE: What's your security?"

    Wow, you're living more dangerously than I am. Using a bleeding edge Microsoft security product.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ablibSun Apr-16-06 03:58 AM
    #31. "RE: What's your security?"

    I was gonna say. A Microsoft product as your main line of defense. ewwww

    Visit the Basement

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    garbruTue Apr-18-06 05:12 PM
    Charter member
    4425 posts
    #64. "RE: What's your security?"

    >I was gonna say. A Microsoft product as your main line of
    >defense. ewwww

    I agree that is a a bit risky to say the least.

    Allowing MS to be your main line of PC security is like:
    - hiring a crack head to be your home security guard.
    - Hiring a guy who is always drunk to be your chauffeur
    - hiring the town thief to watch your valuables while you go use the rest room.

    - Hiring OJ Simpson to teach your children honesty

    just well... good luck with everything.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    PauliezSun Apr-16-06 04:07 AM
    Member since Jun 18th 2003
    3160 posts
    #32. "RE: What's your security? To JP"

    What is a "bleeding edge Microsoft security product". Sounds messy.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ablibSun Apr-16-06 04:31 AM
    #33. "RE: What's your security? To JP"

    Windows One Care. Bleeding Edge technology here folks.

    http://www.windowsonecare.com/

    Visit the Basement

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    MeehowskiSun Apr-16-06 12:01 PM
    Charter member
    1441 posts
    #34. "RE: What's your security?"

    Windows XP SP-2
    ICS/IF
    AVG
    AdAware,SpyBot,SpyCatcher,Windows Defender....

    That's it!!

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodSun Apr-16-06 02:48 PM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #37. "RE: What's your security?"

    Most Important !!!

    1)OPERA Browser

    2)KAV personal pro
    (no real time protection-only on demand)

    Then

    Kerio 2.1.5
    SpywareBlaster
    Adaware

    Never caught a virus,trojan..

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ShellySun Apr-16-06 04:37 PM
    Charter member
    58338 posts
    #41. "RE: What's your security?"

    Without running real time protection, any virus program is virtually worthless, and exposes everyone in your address book to threats.

    Shelly

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    chandra xSun Apr-16-06 11:27 PM
    Member since Feb 14th 2003
    2502 posts
    #42. "RE: What's your security?"

    >Without running real time protection, any virus program is
    >virtually worthless, and exposes everyone in your address book
    >to threats.

    Hi, please explain what real time means, how can we check that we have it, and why you think some uses are not being recognized.....and as said before, maybe that Z.A. may have an issue with the free anti virus users like A.V.G.?

    thanks

    priscilla

    i-MAC newbie out of training

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    DarrenMon Apr-17-06 12:01 AM
    Charter member
    9461 posts
    #43. "RE: What's your security?"

    Real-time means your antivirus software is running in the background and is scanning your files, usually when they are created or accessed. If you have AVG running in your system tray, and the icon isn't gray, you have real-time protection enabled.

    Quote:
    please explain what real time means, how can we check that we have it

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    chandra xMon Apr-17-06 08:55 PM
    Member since Feb 14th 2003
    2502 posts
    #55. "RE: What's your security?"

    YES!! thanks i am running real time, but the symantic test doesn't recognize my A.V.G.

    priscilla

    i-MAC newbie out of training

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodMon Apr-17-06 04:09 AM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #44. "RE: What's your security?"

    >Without running real time protection, any virus program is
    >virtually worthless, and exposes everyone in your address book
    >to threats.

    I live this way 2 years now and never-never had a problem.
    I scan what I download and Opera never lets you get infected
    when online.
    I turn KAV's Monitor ON only when I use IE.

    I don't advice people to do that...
    Just what I do:-)

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    DarrenMon Apr-17-06 11:27 AM
    Charter member
    9461 posts
    #45. "RE: What's your security?"

    Now that's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. In today's Internet environment, that would be like having a one night stand without a condom. Jeez, no wonder all that crap keeps spreading.

    Quote:
    I live this way 2 years now and never-never had a problem.
    I scan what I download and Opera never lets you get infected
    when online.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodMon Apr-17-06 01:08 PM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #46. "RE: What's your security?"

    It's just your opinion friend...
    I don't know where you go and what you 're searching
    when online.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    DarrenMon Apr-17-06 01:14 PM
    Charter member
    9461 posts
    #47. "RE: What's your security?"

    I guarantee you...it's not just my opinion, friend. And I go anywhere on the Internet I want without any worry, because my security isn't compromised by my own stupidity.

    Quote:
    It's just your opinion friend...
    I don't know where you go and what you 're searching
    when online.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodMon Apr-17-06 01:40 PM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #48. "RE: What's your security?"

    Interesting.
    I'm surfing the net 2-3 hours per day for more than
    five years and never had been infected by a virus,trojan
    or the likes.

    KAV finds sometimes a Trojan-downloader at browser's cache
    but it can't do anything from there...

    If I remember well I had some spyware from Audiogalaxy
    when I baught my first PC.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    DarrenMon Apr-17-06 01:46 PM
    Charter member
    9461 posts
    #49. "RE: What's your security?"

    The you must be running the real-time scanner.

    Quote:
    KAV finds sometimes a Trojan-downloader at browser's cache
    but it can't do anything from there...

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodMon Apr-17-06 02:10 PM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #50. "RE: What's your security?"
    Mon Apr-17-06 02:11 PM by edsod

    No,I mean after a manual scan.

    Anyway as I said I don't recommend this to anyone.

    To be more clear I find rarely malware when I scan what i have
    downloaded and delete it.

    I don't want to show myself as clever or stupid
    I just don't like real time scanners.

    (I do clean many infected PCs every month using KAV,Ewido
    Spybot,Adaware,CWShredder,Hijackthis and common sense...)

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ShellyMon Apr-17-06 03:08 PM
    Charter member
    58338 posts
    #51. "RE: What's your security?"

    How would you know if you have ever been infected? newer worms detect antivirus programs on a computer and once on the system can make themselves invisible to that program.

    You could simply be a "Typhoid Mary" infecting others without even knowing it, orshowing symptoms yourself.

    Sadly, computer users, in the tens of millions, are clueless about security, like yourself, and are the reason viruses, worms, and trojans even exist today. If everyone was properly protected creating theses things would be a waste of time, and the scum that get their jollies by screwing up peoples computers would just crawl back under their rocks.

    Shelly

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodMon Apr-17-06 03:39 PM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #52. "RE: What's your security?"
    Mon Apr-17-06 03:41 PM by edsod

    I said that I do scan my PC.
    Right click "My computer" and scan with Kaspersky antivirus.
    So simple...

    END

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ChickenmanMon Apr-17-06 05:47 PM
    Charter member
    4618 posts
    #53. "RE: What's your security?"
    Mon Apr-17-06 05:58 PM by Chickenman

    Edit: Deleted by moi. Waste of time.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    antcjMon Apr-17-06 06:13 PM
    Member since Nov 08th 2001
    1116 posts
    #54. "RE: What's your security?"

    You are missing Shelleys point, that if you dont have realtime switched on, the nasties make themselves invisible on your pc, so that when you do eventually, do a scan, they are then invisible to the AV program and you then think that you have a lovely clean pc.

    Ant

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    ablibMon Apr-17-06 09:04 PM
    #56. "RE: What's your security?"
    Mon Apr-17-06 09:04 PM by ablib

    come on people. Your'e wasting your typing. I deal with these kinds everyday. Every day I repair peoples computer problems. People that say "I have antivirus installed", but it hasn't been updated in years. Or "I don't need antivirus" then why did I just delete 5708 detections on your computer? Or what do you think is the reason you called me? Or "I have antivirus, but I don't need real time prevention" then why am I reformatting because your boot sector is gone?

    Visit the Basement

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    antcjMon Apr-17-06 09:48 PM
    Member since Nov 08th 2001
    1116 posts
    #57. "RE: What's your security?"

    You are right Im afraid

    Ant

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    Bob HTue Apr-18-06 02:51 AM
    Charter member
    10682 posts
    #60. "RE: What's your security?"

    You can lead a horse to water but.............. duh

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    luphamWed Apr-19-06 12:24 AM
    Member since Jun 06th 2002
    652 posts
    #66. "RE: What's your security?"

    I have Symantec AV 10 with active scanning on. Other active security programs: ZA Pro and ProcessGuard. I also have AdAware, SpyBot, and SpywareBlaster and keep the definitions updated, but rarely run any scans (never find anything except for cookies). I use Firefox so the Immunization features of Spybot and SpywareBlaster aren't really useful.

    With all my hours and hours surfing on-line, the only nasties I've come across are some minor trojans and such, usually placed in the cache directories and cookies. I might have gotten one virus once in the past few years - can't remember (but it never infected my system - was caught and deleted). I run CrapCleaner regularly. And these things would not slip by any manual scans since they wouldn't become activated.

    So I can see how someone without active scanning, and with very safe surfing habits (scans anything they download before they run it) can get away with it safely - as long as they keep their definitions updated and scan regularly.

    Though I agree, in theory, someone could become infected without having "run" the infected file, and before they get a chance to run a manual antivirus scan - jpeg files, movie files, etc. But I have yet to run across any such infected files myself.

    I don't have broadband, don't use Outlook.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    CrockettMon Apr-17-06 10:47 PM
    Member since Feb 27th 2002
    1395 posts
    #58. "RE: What's your security?"

    Quote:

    >2)KAV personal pro
    > (no real time protection-only on demand)
    >
    >Never caught a virus,trojan..

    Now that's one of the most idiotic statements I've heard.
    I have your same setup except Zone Alarm Pro and KAV Personal Pro WITH real-time.
    Even with Opera I've come across "innocent looking" sites that had nasties as soon as I clicked the link....and no, that's not surfing for porn.
    You may have been lucky so far, but you never know what you have until you do a manual scan, and then may be too late for you or others in contact with your computer through email.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    daterminehtorTue Apr-18-06 12:49 AM
    Member since Nov 09th 2001
    2101 posts
    #59. "RE: What's your security?"

    2 - Linksys Router's (1 wired, 1 not)
    SAV Corp 10x
    Outpost Pro 2.1
    ProcessGuard 3x
    TrojanHunter 4.5x
    SpywareBlaster
    ScriptSentry (yea!!!! Jason)

    For on-demand...

    F-Prot Corp 3.16x
    A2 Free
    Ewido Free
    RootkitRevealer
    Spybot
    Ad-Aware Pro
    IPFilter via BlocklistManager (app specific).

    I must admit, since switching to Firefox in Nov of '04, I find myself scanning less and less.
    I just never find anything!

    The above may be a little excessive (other than my laptop, my other rigs are not as rich in security apps).

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    therubeTue Apr-18-06 04:34 PM
    Member since Jan 22nd 2003
    16606 posts
    #61. "RE: What's your security?"

    Sorry, but in reference to the "edsod" thread, & contrary to what others have posted against it, in general, I agree with edsod.

    Now everyone has made valid points, & while his surfing habits & the way he uses his computer may not make it a valid method for all (or maybe even very many), there is no reason that not having an AV (at all) will necessarily make him more susceptible.

    This goes a long way also, "common sense...".

    Some here espose the use of ERUNT over XP's System Restore.
    The only falicy that I see is that SR is automated - it does not (in general) need user intervention. The same as a realtime scanner does.
    ERUNT requires the dumy behind the wheel to know in advance that he wants to backup his registry, & then he must physically do it - the "on demand" scanner.

    (I'll hear the flack now).

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    DarrenTue Apr-18-06 05:12 PM
    Charter member
    9461 posts
    #63. "RE: What's your security?"

    Why bother installing antivirus software if you ain't gonna run the realtime protection? There's online virus scanners, so why install any locally?

    ERUNT can be automated. Read up on the command line switches and make yourself a .bat file. Use Task Scheduler to run it.
    System restore is an absolute joke.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    edsodWed Apr-19-06 05:02 AM
    Member since Dec 19th 2002
    173 posts
    Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
    #67. "RE: What's your security?"

    >Why bother installing antivirus software if you ain't gonna
    >run the realtime protection? There's online virus scanners, so
    >why install any locally?

    Because it's easy and more convenient when you download a file to right click it and scan it with KAV (as it's integrated in the shell).

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    antcjTue Apr-18-06 05:59 PM
    Member since Nov 08th 2001
    1116 posts
    #65. "RE: What's your security?"

    Refer back to Shellys comment

    Ant

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    holden4thThu Apr-20-06 08:15 AM
    Member since Oct 16th 2004
    254 posts
    #68. "RE: What's your security?"

    MY security:

    NAT router

    NOD32

    Spyware blaster

    Spyware Doctor with real time protection turned on

    Sygate PF

    I run scans with free versions of A Squared, Spybot S&D, Rootkit Revealer and Hijack this on a monthly basis and best of all I use Firefox as my browser.

    Why these checks did not complete for you:
    You are not using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or newer.

    Thank God for that.

    Holden

    Intel Core i7-870 2.93GhzQuad Core 8MB cache, 8GB DDR31333MHz memory, Nvidia GeForce PCleGT2201GB, 1TB HD 7200 rpm SATA 3GB/s, Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, Edifier M3300SF, Nuforce uDAC-2, Fiio E7/E9 DAC/Amp combo, Sennheiser HD580

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    BobGuyTue Apr-25-06 04:42 AM
    Charter member
    2203 posts
    #69. "RE: What's your security?"

    PCLinuxOS <===> Linksys Router <===> Internet, that's all.

    Before the Router in 2005, PCLinuxOS <===> Internet.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    DJCTue Apr-25-06 07:11 AM
    Charter member
    6596 posts
    #70. "RE: What's your security?"
    Tue Apr-25-06 07:12 AM by DJC

    I have Linksys Router Zone Alarm Norton AntiVirus SpywareBlaster Windows Defender and Trojan Hunter I used to have the paid version of A2 Squared but discontinued this program. I am thinking of purchasing Spy Sweeper.

    Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

    Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #407826 Previous topic | Next topic