For every question, there's an answer -- and you'll find it here!

Printer-friendly copy
Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #65363
View in linear mode

Subject: "OT - What was your first job?" Previous topic | Next topic
CrunkSun Apr-21-02 08:11 AM
Charter member
2443 posts
Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OT - What was your first job?"
Sun Apr-21-02 08:56 AM

Do you remember???

And if you want...what do you now?

Oh and if you want, you can post what year it was too, but you know.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
1
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 23rd 2002
62
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
2
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
3
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
4
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
5
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
7
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
6
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
8
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
51
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
9
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
34
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
11
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
12
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
13
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
14
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
15
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
16
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
17
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
18
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
19
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
21
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
20
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
22
RE: OT - What was your first job?
May 22nd 2003
71
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
23
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
24
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
25
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
26
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
27
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
28
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
29
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
53
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
30
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
32
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
31
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
33
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
35
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
36
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
37
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
38
           RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
39
           RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
40
                RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
41
                     RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
42
           RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
43
                RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
44
                     RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
45
                     RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
46
                          RE: OT - What was your first job?
Hardware Freek
Apr 22nd 2002
47
                               RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
48
                     RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
58
RE: OT - What was your first job?
ryan auclair
Apr 22nd 2002
49
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
50
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
52
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
54
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
55
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
56
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
57
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 22nd 2002
59
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 23rd 2002
60
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 23rd 2002
61
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
63
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
64
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
65
      RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
66
           RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
67
                RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
68
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
69
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 24th 2002
70
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Jul 25th 2004
72
RE: OT - What was your first job?
Apr 21st 2002
10

doctormidnightSun Apr-21-02 08:14 AM
Charter member
11300 posts
Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Bus Boy at a restaurant, specifically in a bowling alley. I absolutely loved it, at least until I got bored.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

CrazedTue Apr-23-02 04:43 AM
Charter member
364 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
#62. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Tue Apr-23-02 04:44 AM

In 9th grade, in a movie theater. Oh... I guess you meant occupation... sorry... }>

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

TheAngelForeverSun Apr-21-02 08:20 AM
Charter member
665 posts
#2. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Does babysitting count? If not then I think my first real job, aside from tutoring kids, was as a pharmacy technician. This was the summer before I started pharmacy school. It was great since it was next to where my parent's Sports Card and Memorbilla store was located. Who could beat free meals on breaks? Ah, the memories! I stopped working there when they went out of business. Funny since it was only a few months later that I left pharmacy school and went into my dream career of teaching. Now I just need a full time job there.

--Beth

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

yomama1953Sun Apr-21-02 08:20 AM
Charter member
1255 posts
#3. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Mowing Miss Leaper's knee high field for $1.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jasonlevineSun Apr-21-02 08:21 AM
Charter member
7607 posts
#4. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Working at a comic book store a the flea market. The plus side was that I could read comic books when there were no customers (which happened to be quite often). The downside was that I got hooked on them for awhile (spent quite a bit on Superman and Batman comics). That and being around so many Russians somehow put the idea in my head that taking Russian in college would be a good idea.

Then again, that was a "paid under the table" sort of job so I guess my first real job would be working at a Sbarro's during college. I still can't eat their food!

- Jason Levine
Please donate to PCQandA!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

garbruSun Apr-21-02 08:22 AM
Charter member
4425 posts
#5. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

I worked in an Ice cream place....making sundaes, frappes and bananna splits etc. I even made a few for the customers on occasion. Actually it was a decent job for me at 13 years old and the boss did let us eat as much as we wanted while we were on the clock. Prior to that I did things like mow lawns, rake leaves and shovel snow in the winter for people in my neighboorhood.

Garbru

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

waldoSun Apr-21-02 08:24 AM
Charter member
2547 posts
#7. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

First job without a W-2, selling coca-cola’s at the Carolina Gamecocks football games. (made .03 per coke) With a W-2, assembling coin-operated washers and dryers and installing them in pay laundry’s. (10th grade-2.20 an hr.)

Walter A Robertson

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

LesSun Apr-21-02 08:23 AM
Charter member
3684 posts
#6. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Soda Jerk ..... 25 cents an hour......

Les aka Arkie

Les

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

BobMcGSun Apr-21-02 08:27 AM
Charter member
1103 posts
Click to send email to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#8. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

I think Shelly's first job was making sure the fire didn't go out in the cave.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

old dudeMon Apr-22-02 03:38 AM
Charter member
7641 posts
#51. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Bob,
No Shelly was in charge of the team that engineered the placement of the fire for proper heating and ventilation in the cave.

Job specs included managing fuel gathering expositions, lighting proceedures, angle of repose for support foundations of hearth layout stones......Site locations and procurement of property releases, right of way commitments, easments where required for passage of fuel carriers and union negotiations as energy demands increased, as payments became due along with management of cost overruns and outside sales to foriegn investors began to amortize...(those guys down there just below the creek)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

mickozSun Apr-21-02 08:33 AM
Charter member
4200 posts
#9. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Aged 11, riding a push bike around the neighbourhood delivering the afternoon newspaper.

Mick

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

bobboSun Apr-21-02 08:50 PM
Charter member
7376 posts
#34. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Same thing here, Mick. Age 11 delivering the now defunct Detroit Times. Caddied at 14.

bobbo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellySun Apr-21-02 08:35 AM
Charter member
58338 posts
#11. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Sun Apr-21-02 08:37 AM

Other than delivering newspapers, soda jerk in a drug store at 14. Got fired for giving friends an extra scoop of ice cream once in a while.

Bob, the store was in a cave...I tended the fire too.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

AlSun Apr-21-02 08:48 AM
Charter member
11790 posts
#12. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Dishwasher in a Chinese restaraunt...free food and lessons on using chopsticks on the side...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

RoperaSun Apr-21-02 08:56 AM
Charter member
5863 posts
#13. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

-clerk at a grocery store

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Zema BusSun Apr-21-02 08:57 AM
Charter member
1039 posts
#14. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

I was a delivery guy for the campus print shop in college. Drove a little electric cart all over the place between classes. Lots of fun except when it got stuck on the grass, or a gust of wind would send it rolling downhill while I was delivering a package (broken parking brakes so I put a rock under a wheel). It used to burn rubber everytime it first started moving, but they eventually got it 'fixed'. After they repaired it, it didn't have enough power to start moving from a stop on grass, or facing up hill (like at stop signs), so I had to let it roll backward, spin it around so the nose was facing downhill to get it rolling forward, then spin it back up hill again... all the time hopeing no traffic would be coming because I would be running the stop sign!

Zema Bus

Zema Bus

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

McGeeSun Apr-21-02 08:59 AM
Charter member
2972 posts
#15. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

1st Part Time: Cleaning printing presses and sweeping up at a printer during high school.
1st Full Time: Carrying block and brick, and mixing mortar with a hoe and shovel for impatient construction workers. I don't recommend it.

I'm back at a newspaper, but now I edit and lay out pages, and write the occasional humor column.

The 20-30 jobs in between, I'm saving for my memoirs.

McGee

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

old dudeSun Apr-21-02 09:15 AM
Charter member
7641 posts
#16. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Right after I got out of the Navy in '55 I worked at a little pizza and beer joint in North Sacramento for .90 cents an hour, all the beer and pizza I could eat.......
Didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of....bought a beat up 46 Ford convertable with no top for $65 bucks, rented an apartment in Sacramento for 65 a month and had to borrow a roll of toilet paper from the land lady....never did pay her back....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

daterminehtorSun Apr-21-02 09:42 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2001
2101 posts
#17. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

>and had to borrow a roll of toilet paper from the land
>lady....never did pay her back....

And a good thing too, OD!

My first P/T jobg was as at 14, a busboy in my local "Pancake House". First day on the job, I was carrying, those large plastic bags of milk (?), to the dispenser. I dropped it.

It was my LAST day on the job.

DATERMINEHTOR

MY HOME PAGE!

GO LEAFS GO!

http://daterminehtor.blogspot.com/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

golouisSun Apr-21-02 09:47 AM
Charter member
1326 posts
#18. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Full time job with IBM (computer division) to pay my way through college. In charge of postal services for a multi-sorey complex building in a provincial office. Learned nothing about computers (this was before PC's). The actual computer room was sterile and access allowed only to authorized personnel wearing proper clothing (bit like in an operating theater in a hospital).

Louis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

waldoSun Apr-21-02 10:06 AM
Charter member
2547 posts
#19. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

And that was your FIRST job?

Walter A Robertson

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

golouisSun Apr-21-02 10:24 AM
Charter member
1326 posts
#21. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Yes. I was 18. Didn't work P/T before (must have been very lazy).

Louis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

tpikdaveSun Apr-21-02 10:13 AM
Charter member
1995 posts
#20. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Washing blackboards in a race horse parlor(The Reno Turf Club)in Reno Nevada. I worked from 5:30am until 7:30am and then walked about 2 miles to school(no kidding) I made $12 a week and got a silver dollar and a hard boiled egg from the bartender every morning. I was in FAT city in 1955

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

NofsdadSun Apr-21-02 11:27 AM
Member since Jan 15th 2002
162 posts
#22. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Header tender on a grain combine at 13. Other farm related jobs for next few years.

Started with the California Department of Forestry/Tulare County Fire Department at 17 (first full time job although it was seasonal the first couple of years).

Tom

Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

waldoThu May-22-03 01:34 AM
Charter member
2547 posts
#71. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Walter A Robertson

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

MykSun Apr-21-02 01:28 PM
Charter member
7491 posts
#23. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Feeding horses at a neighbor's bording stable. When I got old enough to have a job I was a dishwasher part time.

--------------
History teaches us that history has taught us nothing.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

DJCSun Apr-21-02 02:21 PM
Charter member
6596 posts
#24. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

First full time job Private United States Marine Corps July 14th 1963

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

oldhammSun Apr-21-02 02:37 PM
Member since Dec 16th 2001
483 posts
#25. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

I spent the summer of 73/74 (Australia, you see) working loading apricots onto a conveyor belt in a jam factory. Pickers would bring 'em in, I'd load 'em up.
Haven't touched an apricot since.

Malcolm

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

BobMcGSun Apr-21-02 03:39 PM
#26. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Swept and mopped floors (Sat. mornings) at the trucking company where my father was a salesman. When I graduated from high school I got a real job there as a billing clerk.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ToniSun Apr-21-02 04:22 PM
Charter member
335 posts
#27. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

"car hop", 25 cents an hour plus tips in 1964. Gas was only around 25 cents per gallon then and everyone drove around from drive-in to drive-in .........ahhh does that bring back memories!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

WoodsieSun Apr-21-02 04:40 PM
Member since Dec 31st 2001
686 posts
#28. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

My first job was as a message boy/clerical assistant at the Aussie tax office in sydney in 1973 $68 a fortnight gees that aint even half a days pay now,Im a mechanic in a small buisness now..well growing anyway.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

HauxfanSun Apr-21-02 04:49 PM
Charter member
1072 posts
#29. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

First job was working in a gas station at $0.25 an hour in 1955.

My first full time job, U.S. Army, 56-59. I think we got $72.00 a day, once a month. (Army joke)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Katy1234Mon Apr-22-02 08:29 AM
Charter member
90 posts
#53. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Toni,I was a carhop also in 1964,except I got paid 50 cents and hour plus tips. Meant my DH doing that job,I was 16 than and married him when I was 17. We will have been married 37 years in June. Wow,do I feel old now. }>

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ilona53Sun Apr-21-02 05:05 PM
Charter member
3085 posts
Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#30. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Legal secretary to two old San Francisco lawyers, also did their personal social correspondence (High Society stuff) in 1965. Very boring job. Don't remember the wage amount, probably $2.35/hr.
Took Civil Service exam - Clerk Typist GS-2 - passed, started to work for the Coast Guard District Headquarters-Engineering Department, Naval section - my job description was 15 pages long (typical govt stuff in detail }> ).

Lonnie
Vista Home Basic
Compaq Presario SR2163WM
160GB SATA 3G
1536 MB
RoadRunner HSI
MSE,CCleaner,SWB,Irfanview

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

patysonSun Apr-21-02 05:23 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2002
2876 posts
#32. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Worked in the Golf Pro Shop @ the neighborhood country club for $3.10/hr. for 2 yrs.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

TuffSun Apr-21-02 05:21 PM
Charter member
3875 posts
#31. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

At age 11 I got a job summer's working at a gas station/store combo.I was so short had to use a wooden milk crate to wash the windshields ,Tuff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

EthanSun Apr-21-02 08:29 PM
Charter member
3274 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
#33. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Mowed lawns, pulled weeds I'm still mowing lawns and pulling weeds.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
"Why shouldn't the American people take half my money from me? I took it all from them." - Edward Filene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

giddyrigSun Apr-21-02 09:10 PM
Member since Apr 04th 2002
1684 posts
#35. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

At 12 Yrs old, I changed my neighbor's irrigation pipes twice a day for 13 cents a pipe, & they had about 100-120 pipe depending on which part of the field I was on. I also bucked bales for them that summer. First time I bought my own motorcycle was doing this plus raising & selling a steer.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

dolittlejerrySun Apr-21-02 09:17 PM
Member since Feb 03rd 2002
314 posts
Click to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#36. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

CrunkMon Apr-22-02 12:40 AM
#37. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Interesting, noone said Mcdonalds!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellyMon Apr-22-02 12:55 AM
Charter member
58338 posts
#38. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

It may be a surprise, but once upon a time there was no McDonalds.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

CrunkMon Apr-22-02 12:59 AM
#39. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Mon Apr-22-02 01:00 AM

Mcdonalds wasn't around in 1930?

Nope, Mcdonalds was founded in 1948, sorry bout that! I can't believe it's that young!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

WoodsieMon Apr-22-02 01:08 AM
Member since Dec 31st 2001
686 posts
#40. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Macdonalds didnt come to Australia till '73 or'74 by the way what was your first job Crunk ? Seing as you started this thread.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

fishstickMon Apr-22-02 01:13 AM
Charter member
1587 posts
#41. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Funny about McDonalds. That was my first job. Worked 1 day and decided that I would never work around food again, and I never have. Today I work for one of the major online travel sites. Howard Stern talks about us all the time.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

geruMon Apr-22-02 01:28 AM
Member since Dec 11th 2001
188 posts
#42. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

My first job was .... mowing lawns and doing other yard work.
My first full time job was at the age of 13 on a Dairy Farm my second was at age 15 (I lied about my age).. I worked 3pm to 11pm shift putting print on boxes that the company made. I'd get out of school at 2:30 and run the nearly 3 miles to get to work on time.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

geruMon Apr-22-02 01:31 AM
Member since Dec 11th 2001
188 posts
#43. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Mon Apr-22-02 01:33 AM

In the city where I grew up there was no McDonalds but we had a white castle now there was a burger. Gosh how I miss those.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ShellyMon Apr-22-02 01:49 AM
Charter member
58338 posts
#44. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

You will find White Castle burners frozen in almost any supermarket. Of course, the original ones were 10 for a dollar. I think they got about 100 from a pound of meat! It was the onions that made them anyway.

Shelly

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

doctoreddiechakraMon Apr-22-02 02:10 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
102 posts
#45. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Mon Apr-22-02 02:13 AM

when I was 14 I used to get paid £10 a day by the local pharmaceuticals company who used me as a test case for new drugs.
That was a lot of money in those days, and I saw it as easy money.
I took too much time off school to do it, and didn't tell my parents, so had to do extra study in the evenings. Most of the drugs they tested on me never came onto the market. Looking back it was probably quite dangerous, but I had some interesting experiences that's for sure

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

AlMon Apr-22-02 02:29 AM
Charter member
11790 posts
#46. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Explains a lot...
}>

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Hardware FreekMon Apr-22-02 02:38 AM

#47. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Collecting supermarket trolleys, got fired for endangering customers taking 75 odd trolleys down a ramp at the one time! Man it was about 50' long that train!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

MeehowskiMon Apr-22-02 02:54 AM
Charter member
1441 posts
#48. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Guarding a frog farm......can you believe that??

Back in the Seventies.....minimum wage.

Meehowski

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

magicjabbaMon Apr-22-02 10:47 PM
Charter member
363 posts
#58. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

They no longer have White Castles where you people live???
"Is there life after death? Mess with my computer and find out."

Rosewill Thor V2 Case
ASUS P8Z77-V
Intel I-5 3570
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
XFX Core Edition FX-7870
60GB SSD Corsair Force Series GT
2TB Seagate Barracuda
Rosewill Hive-750W

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ryan auclairMon Apr-22-02 03:03 AM

#49. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

My first and my last(for now). I helped to move the stuff from the old school to the new one. Wash everything also, the lockers, the desks etc. The job was offered trough the school so I did not need to be 16 but for most other jobs, I have to be 16. By this summer, I'll be 16 so I want to work in the computer departement at Staples. That would be fun. If I can fix my computer, I can fix any computer!

No you can't(TM)
Ryan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

gowenMon Apr-22-02 03:17 AM
Charter member
303 posts
#50. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

My first job was in 1958. I had just got my drivers license. I worked at a then hand car wash on saturday and sundays for $1.25 per hour. My duties were to drive the cars off the end of the car wash and move them to where the cars could be dryed off. You want to talk about a perfect job for a kid who had just got there drivers license. This job was a lot of fun for about 6 months and then I encontered the customer from hell. He would come in every sunday with his new Pontiac and each time he would seek me out and give me instructions on how to drive his precious car. One sunday for whatever reason he was really a jerk, so when I drove his car out i accelerated a little and then i hit the very grabby power brakes real hard to stop it. Of course I got fired on the spot. One of my co-workers said that i hit the brakes so hard that the back end of the car left the ground. I just retired from working in aerospace for 34 years in 1999 so I guess you could say I became a lot more responsible as an adult.

Work Hard and do your best, it'll make it easier on the rest of us...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

JiminLAMon Apr-22-02 05:45 AM
Charter member
201 posts
#52. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

1966. Father's farm. No real salary. Just spending money when we went to town. lots of cattle sheep snakes kangaroos heat and flies. Actually pretty damn good.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

SuperCzarMon Apr-22-02 09:03 AM
Charter member
1194 posts
#54. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

You guys talking about your jobs years ago makes me feel so young.

My first job

Summer of 2000 Operations Intern making MPEG transfer computers $6.50/hr

http://www.telestream.net/products/clipexpress.htm

That was one of those cushy new age high tech companies for a while Catered lunches on fridays, relaxed hours, time off to "excercize".

SUPERCZAR
My Comps

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

PilgrimMon Apr-22-02 10:21 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
2296 posts
#55. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Making donuts and working a grill back in 1960 for $.45/hr. Now, I'm a skin diver for Roto Rooter. It only pays $1.00/hr, but it includes all I can eat!

Jeff
simul iustus et peccator

Jeff
simul iustus et peccator

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

doctoreddiechakraMon Apr-22-02 01:28 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
102 posts
#56. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

"Explains a lot...."

Yes, Al, I knew that was coming }> I was their star boy (there were several of us doing it), but most of the others suffered long-term side effects, the company said I had the constitution of an ox to survive what they pumped into me, and I could take triple or even four times the usual maximim dosages. Apart from a strange tentacle-like growth which erupted in an embarrassing place when I was seventeen, I can honestly say nothing too serious happened

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

collegeguyMon Apr-22-02 05:54 PM
Charter member
1374 posts
#57. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Cook at Sirloin Stockade. I call this my first real job, and I did it after my freshman year of college.

Before that in high school during the summer, I would do odd jobs for my farmer neighbor, who also owned the local handy mart.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ma_137Mon Apr-22-02 11:27 PM
Charter member
105 posts
#59. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Mon Apr-22-02 11:28 PM

You guys are making me feel like a baby!
First job without W2. 10 and I was sweeping the floor at my fathers auto garage.

First job with W2. Working at Chick-Fil A at 16 cleaning chicken bits and running the register....I hated that job

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

brettTue Apr-23-02 01:33 AM
Charter member
561 posts
#60. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Barman in 1984. Dismissed (along with several others) as a result of collapsing during an unauthorised quality control exercise.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

gfbrownTue Apr-23-02 02:07 AM
Charter member
100 posts
#61. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Tue Apr-23-02 02:21 AM

Photo Engraver for a small town weekly newspaper in Michigan.
Year was 1941; sophomore in High School

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jockopaWed Apr-24-02 04:36 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
152 posts
#63. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Boy I thought I was old until I read the years of some of these jobs.

My first non W2 job was selling Sunday Papers on a Street corner in town on Saturday night in 1950. Believe it or not most people bought their Sunday Papers on Saturday nights in those days because there were kids on every block selling them. I was 11 years old, my brother was 13.

First W-2 job, delivering Telegrams for Western Union. My worst delivery was a Telegram to a family with very bad news during the Korean War. Knowing what it was beforehand made it even worse for a delivery boy of 16.

Tom

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

seraccaWed Apr-24-02 07:08 AM
Charter member
436 posts
#64. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

First jobs were farm labour. Hoeing, baling hay, etc.

First full-time job was Automotive Machining. (grinding crank shafts, cam shafts, etc.)
since then I've been a grocery clerk, a cop, a bus driver, a factory worker building front axles for International Harvester trucks, a partner in a hotel in Florida, a maintenance person at a Baptist Mission in Haiti, Manager of Security and Shipping/Receiving at a Sears store, and now I spent most of my time in Jail. (on the right side of the bars)

Guess you could say I've moved around some

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

jadinolfWed Apr-24-02 10:38 AM
Charter member
269 posts
#65. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

1950-1952

Drug Clerk/Soda Jerk at a well known independent drug store in Connecticut.

Pay was 65 cents an hour except if I worked on Saturday night, then the pay went to a rip roaring 75 cents because I had to scrub the floor.

My how times have changed.:'(

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

ken kWed Apr-24-02 02:47 PM
Charter member
521 posts
#66. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

First: 1945...picking cotton
Last: 2002...HehHehHeh...My guess is you know }>

"Not all who wander are lost."-Tolkien

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

boilermanWed Apr-24-02 03:07 PM
Member since Nov 07th 2001
103 posts
#67. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Newspaper carrier. Age 12. 1949. Lasted six years.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

randybedoreWed Apr-24-02 03:24 PM
Charter member
1604 posts
#68. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"
Thu Apr-25-02 05:06 PM

Other than the routine paper route and yard work, at 16 I got a 40 hr/wk summer job and some saturdays during school year with the local plumbing & HVAC shop. I was so proud to work with adult men in a skilled trade and earn good money. My buddies were envious. I spent a lot of years in related trades. Edit: Reading other posts reminded me: My first day on the job was in the basement of a new house under construction. Before the concrete basement floor is poured the trenches for the sewer lines are dug. It is a dismal environment. Little light, very damp, digging in sticky clay subsoil packed with fist size rock. Your pick cannot penetrate because it hits rock on every swing. The other tradesmen working in the house on the main floor came down to watch. They all agreed it was some of the worst digging they had ever seen. (not my digging; the soil) There was even one mountainous rock that had to be exposed, broken up with an air hammer, and then we reburied the pieces.) I drive past that house about 4 times per year.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Josh NWed Apr-24-02 06:01 PM
Charter member
1523 posts
Click to send email to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#69. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

First real job was as a sack boy at a local owned grocery store. Other than that I mowed lawns and did other various yard stuff.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

SueyJrWed Apr-24-02 06:30 PM
Member since Apr 15th 2002
24 posts
#70. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

Dishwasher/Busboy at a nasty Mexican Restaraunt.
$4.65 an hour

Now I do tier 1 tech support for not much more.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

crazyXgermanSun Jul-25-04 07:44 PM
Charter member
5592 posts
#72. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

first real full-time job: bank teller at deutsche bank in germany - damn, i hated that place!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

sputnicSun Apr-21-02 08:35 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2002
121 posts
#10. "RE: OT - What was your first job?"

gathering eggs at a chicken farm and boy did it stink and i mean that:D

I tried to think and nothing happened

Alert Printer-friendly copy | | Top

Top The PC Q&A Forum The Computer Forum topic #65363 Previous topic | Next topic